MRSA and Other Healthcare Associated Infections (HAI)
“MRSA is 100% preventable and those injured deserve compensation for the harm it causes.” Partner, Jason Kobin
MRSA infections, and many other infections acquired in a hospital are 100% preventable. Which begs the question, why are you or your loved one suffering from this awful infection? If you have acquired an infection while staying in a hospital, we can help. Our team is on call ready discuss the details of your matter 24/7. For over 20 years we have been successfully representing people suffering from medical malpractice, and we have the experience necessary to successfully fight for you.
Medical Malpractice Verdicts & Settlements
- $7,000,000.00 recovery for twins in a medical malpractice case who were born prematurely as a result of their doctor’s failure to treat their mother’s cervical shortening with a cerclage
- $6,700,000.00 recovery for a man in a medical malpractice case whose doctor failed to diagnose and treat endocarditis
- $3,000,000.00 recovery for the family in a medical malpractice/wrongful death case whose wife and mother died as a result of her doctors failure to timely diagnose her breast cancer
- $3,000,000.00 recovery for a child in a medical malpractice action whose doctors failed to diagnose and treat bacterial meningitis resulting in brain damage
- $1,250,000.00 recovery in a medical malpractice case for a woman whose doctors failed to timely diagnose her compartment syndrome resulting in a permanent foot drop
Why is MRSA 100% Preventable
Hospitals can prevent MRSA infections by keeping bed linens, bed rails, bathroom fixtures, and medical equipment clean, by making sure that all medical practitioners wash their hands, by screening people more susceptible to MRSA, and by separating patients with a MRSA infection from the general hospital population. [FN 1]. The fact that you have been harmed by this preventable infection is unacceptable.
We want to fight for you. If you have suffered a MRSA infection related to a hospital stay, you may be entitled to compensation from your health care provider. For more information and a free consultation call us 24/7 at (212) 750-4949.
What is MRSA
MRSA is methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (Staph), a type of staph bacteria that is resistant to many antibiotics. For simplicity’s sake, lets think of MRSA as Staph’s evil twin. Staph is a group of bacteria that live on the surface of people’s skin and inside the nose. It is normally harmless. In fact, most people who are carrying this bacteria are totally unaware that they have it. [FN 2]
Problems occur if Staph is able to enter the body through a cut or wound. Most healthy people have strong immune systems and can fight off this infection with only mild symptoms. However, people with weakened immune systems or who have undergone surgery (for example heart surgery or hip replacement) can develop more serious problems such as boils, abscesses, impetigo, septic wounds, heart-valve problems, toxic shock syndrome, pneumonia and in extreme cases, even death. [FN 2]. Hospitals know this and have an obligation to take the proper precautions.
People with weakened immune systems who have been infected with Staph require treatment with antibiotics to help clear the infection. The problem with MRSA (the evil twin), is that MRSA is a type of Staph that is resistant to many of the antibiotics used to typically treat Staph, thereby making it more difficult to cure. [FN 2].
MRSA is preventable, and there is no reason that thousands upon thousands of hospital patients continue to be infected by this bacteria each year. Essner and Kobin is fighting for those harmed by hospitals failing to prevent MRSA, and we want to fight for you.
Additional Information About MRSA
Call us at (212) 750-4949 to speak with an attorney today. There is no obligation, our consultation is free and you don’t pay us anything unless we win.